THIS BLOG CHANGED ITS NAME AND FORMAT. NOW IT IS EMPOWERING ANGLE AND IS ONLY BEING UPDATED IN ITS NEW URL (CLICK HERE https://en.empoweringangle.com/) WE’RE WAITING FOR YOU.
Now that we are aware of what’s necessary to improve the absorption of nutrients in our bodies and of the reason why we must be conscious of consuming macronutrients of high nutritional value (carbohydrates, proteins and fats), it’s time to know the essential micronutrients for our bodies and their functions.
Let’s start with the minerals. In the book Human nutrition in the developing world (available in English at Food and Agriculture Organization of the United Nations – FAO website) we can find information about the pshysiological and structural function that minerals have in the human body, and that is our topic for the next articles from now on.
Today, the subject is Calcium, one of the most important minerals for our bodies, since it is the main constituent of bones, and what keeps them strong. Along with phosphorus it is important for the muscle functions, nerve stimulation, enzymatic and hormonal activities and the transport of oxigen.
It is important to be conscious about the important aspects for the absorption of calcium and the food that contains higher concentrations of the mineral.
- Calcium is best absorbed when consumed along with vitamin C (limonade is one great ally and alkalizing)
- It is necessary to have, at least, a 10 minutes sunbath a day, without protection.
- The following foods are rich in calcium and in many other minerals that improves its absorption (like phosphorus and vitamin C):
- Flaxseed: 255 mg of calcium per 100 grs. – Soak the seeds for at least 24 hours and wash them before consuming them blended.
- Walnuts: 94 mg of calcium per 100 grs. – Soak the nuts for at least 24 hours and wash them before consuming them.
- Almonds: 216 mg of calcium per 100 grs. – Soak the nuts for at least 24 hours and wash them before consuming them.
- Kale: 135 mg of calcium per 100 grs.
Let’s strengthen our bodies from the inside out and feel our vital energy increase. We must always appreciate the foods we consume and practice conscious consumption.
- Human nutrition in the developing world. Available at http://www.fao.org/docrep/W0073E/W0073E00.htm
Written by Ángel (@angellifecoach)